Ring Box

If you’ve been at ASMBLY at all in February you surely saw me at work on this ring box, and so, so many people in the community helped me out with advice, encouragement, and tool help. I’m so grateful to have been able to work on it here; I learned so many new skills and used four out of our six areas in its completion. It was about a month of physical work, plus 2 months of design, most of which went out the window when the physical work began. The only part I didn’t make myself on this project is the hinges. I’m extremely proud of it

Exterior:
Laser-etched rosewood with gilding wax fill.

Four corner Grain Match with brass splined miters, brass and rosewood feet:

Interior:
Maple ring tray with laser burnout velvet ring rolls

For our fifth anniversary last year, I gave my partner a ring and told them I wanted to make it a tradition that every five anniversaries I would get them another ring. I made this box to enshrine that tradition and hold all the rings that I will give them over the course of our lives. It has a love letter compartment and a ring tray with spaces for their engagement ring and mine (we’re lucky to wear similar ring sizes, so we’ll probably sometimes wear each other’s rings), our wedding bands, and (very, very optimistically) 70 years worth of anniversary rings. I used the box to present them with their engagement ring, and it had exactly the effect I was hoping for!

17 Likes

It came out just so outstandingly beautifully. Congratulations on such a magnificent project, and so many wishes for a happy life together for the two of you

2 Likes

Congratulations on the incredible design and workmanship, it’s simply beautiful! Wishing you & your partner the love and time it takes to fill the lovely tradition.

2 Likes

I have no words for how happy it has made me to watch you build this for your beloved and see the progress day after day. It’s gorgeous. You’re gorgeous. Y’alls love is gorgeous. :sob:

2 Likes

Glad to see the very delicate and beautiful art nouveau style laser engrave, very neat!
The router detail is also very thoughtful.

1 Like

@eriese - what process did you take to get the gold into the laser carved areas?

1 Like

A truly stunning project. Amazing work!

1 Like

So glad I got to see you working on this. What a labor of love. Amazing job!

1 Like