Autodesk for Beginners - Follow Along?

I’m going to try and learn Fusion by following this 30 day YouTube playlist by Product Design Online. I figured if anyone else is interested, we could learn together and keep each other accountable for actually finishing the course.

I finished day one and now have my very own lego. :blush:

Tomorrow…a glass bottle!

9 Likes

I did that whole thing twice through when I started using fusion. Such a good tutorial.

I’m in. Are you done with the paper clip already?

I got stuck on the bottle! When I tried to turn the solid bottle into a shell it said the operation would cause a large topology change. I tried messing around with the contour in sketch, but never figured it out.

I’ll just skip it for now and do the paper clip tonight!

Yeah, I found that to be pretty fiddly about the exact shape of the spline path. I wasn’t able to create a 2.5mm shell with my path, and then wasn’t able to fillet the inside lip of the bottle. I used to be an Illustrator user (literal) decades ago, but I’ve let my spline skills get rusty.

Paper: clipped. This one seemed relatively straightforward. I’m struggling to switch between my video window and my Fusion window to pause it every few seconds though. :sweat_smile:

Dual screen setup really helps with this problem. It’s how I try to learn Mozaik, and imagine the only way I’d have a shot in fusion.

1 Like

Woohoo! You’re right, this felt like a simpler one. My biggest issue is that my poor little 2016 Mac can barely handle running Fusion.

Lofted bottle done!

1 Like

I feel like I need to find the “dripping red wax” command…

I definitely agree that a second screen makes a huge difference. I’m taking advantage of my dayjob’s nice big monitor, and keeping the video on my laptop screen while Fusion is on the monitor.

And I discovered that the Play/Pause button works even if the video is not in the active window. Pausing is suddenly easy!

2 Likes

Nicely done! All of you!! I don’t know if you guys are working in Autodesk or Fusion 360 - both are powerful.

It’s only in the last two months I came across a challenge to create a smoothly domed surface over an irregular surface and the environment was not friendly. I was trying to use profile on a path and the math choked the program and Fusion 360 could not get me there - at least in that SOLID ENVIRONMENT.

That lavender form with the yellow star opens a different and very useful environment to create surfaces where you can manipulate irregular shapes more easily:

It took me a couple of weeks hitting the videos on YouTube, but going through those tutorials was perfect to address my challenge. What is interesting is that the form features can be brought back into the SOLID environment blending the best of both worlds. It’s an exciting world out there! Keep going.

I might join when I start/finish the intro class. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the tip, David! The tutorial series we’re working on is for Fusion 360, which I’m using with the “Personal” license, which is free for hobbyist use.

Ice cube tray done!

Amusingly, the last time I was working with an Autodesk product was AutoCAD in 1994. A company that designed cryogenic air separation systems hired me for a few days to write an AutoLISP script to automatically draw elbow joints to connect pipes. I was “qualified” for that because I’d just finished up a class in Common Lisp in high school :rofl: I think that whole project is probably a single sweep command now or just a part in a part library you can drop in.

Now, 30 years later, I find myself modeling parts for freezing things again…

1 Like

I’m joining in too!! I’ll try and catch up to everyone else :crossed_fingers:t2:

Lego done!!

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 10.04.27 AM|690x456

1 Like

:doughnut: err… :nut_and_bolt:

I beat my head against this one for a while because the Emboss command didn’t show any of the options that the tutorial describes. It turned out I had to change the font, for some reason. I don’t know if some of my installed fonts just aren’t compatible.

Day 8. This one was tricky. I had trouble selecting the constraints to reshape the skirt. I think I did my initial extrusion in the opposite direction he did, so nothing appeared where the video showed it.

I also tried using the rectangular pattern for the ribs after the fillet, so I didn’t have to select as many lines in the fillet, but got an error.

I’m a bit behind now. Just finished the ice cube tray!

1 Like

:bulb: complete!