Working on the "artisan" shop table

I agree with opening the bottom of the square holes. I also agree that we need round holes. We could drop them off Set from the square holes and use either time. I use hold fasts and round accessories are also quite easy to make.
I think the top should be resurfaced either by sanding or planing. I know there’s a lot of controversy over finishing the top of a workbench With a treatment. Most of the objection is to finish that remains on the top, or remains liquid. Some people except to finish that soaks in and then dries, effectively sealing the wood but leaving a surface residue. I personally could go either way.
I would like to see other vices. Let’s make some wooden threads like we talked about. With these we could make:
A face vice to complement the tail vice
A leg vice
And removable or reconfigurable vices such as a moxon vice Which could be clamped and removed we’re not needed.
Patternmakers vice which could be attached through the bench dog holes.
We could even add some vertical dog Holes to use hold fasts To attach piece to the side of the bench, exposing its edge to the top.
These could even be used on some of our assembly tables. Sometimes handy to have a vice.
As we discussed, we have six assembly tables, one woodWorking bench, but no real work benches. We have all the materials in the space to build them. Might be a good team project. We could probably fit two of these in the space of One assembly table. They could still be used as assembly tables. We could use T-tracks, Vices, Built ins such As sanding table with vacuum, tool trays, lighting. we can add modular plates for Tool mounting as I had previously posted. I realize these are not high priority. It seems like it be a lot of fun and a good team project.

Finally got back to the shop today after a successful rock climbing trip out to Red Rocks in Nevada followed by a stressful November at work (always have to put in a lot of extra hours leading up to Black Friday). Got a chance to inspect the table – looks like it used to be fixed to the based by two screws, one on each flat bar leg. The threads look intact in both of them, so either they came tapped and were never screwed in or someone intentionally removed the screws.

Anyway I’m going to bring my big bag o’ wood screws with me next time and try fine some that fit. The table was sliding around really maddeningly last night while I was trying to plane down a rough-cut sycamore slab, I had to clamp the apron to the base…

Next up I’ll clean out the shelving below and try to set aside some time to make a shooting board, and look at chopping through the dogholes on the vise which are currently useless as they are filled halfway up with dust and shavings.

1 Like

Found the right screws, but only one of the two holes was threaded with a wood insert nut. Ran into Fred who said he might have the right threaded insert in his car (!), but I had to get going. To be continued…

Also squared and put aside a nice piece of sycamore for the stop for the shooting board.

1 Like

We have a simple shooting board! It’s a quick mdf, ply etc. job except for the back support which is some hard-ish scrap I found and squared. I’ve placed it under the table. Plane not included, though if I eventually get a low angle jointer I can leave the Stanley at the shop.

I also noticed another reason to do some touching up — the apron, and especially on the side of the vise, is pretty far off square from the table top. If you need a piece held perpendicular to the table (for marking dovetails for example), I had to shim it with masking tape. I’m not actually sure of how to start fixing that, short of planing the apron down… any thoughts?

2 Likes

Sorry if this is off-topic, but would you consider teaching a class on hand plane techniques? Everything I know about using hand planes is the result of Googling terms you’ve used in this thread :slight_smile:

Flattening and squaring wood with hand tools is black magic voodoo to me.

3 Likes

Sure. A few folks around the shop have asked me about it, too. I’m very much still learning myself, but I could pretty confidently show some of the basics and not lead anyone too far astray :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be awesome! @astc can work with you to get it set up.

1 Like

I’d be up for a class on that George! I have admired your work.

1 Like

Yes I’d be happy to help you set up a class @gmossessian !

Shoot me an email at ashleystc@atxhs.org :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Following up, I’ll be doing a class on the morning of 3/13: https://atxhs.z2systems.com/np/clients/atxhs/event.jsp?event=3870

Thanks for helping set that up, Ashley!