What software do you use to generate models?

hey y’all, what software do you use to generate models for the 3D printers?

and, as a follow up, any links to good free tutorials?

In FreeCAD we have a section in the manual that runs through the process of designing & 3D-printing a Lego brick, but I’ve never had a chance to run through the actual printing aspect of it myself. It doesn’t look like I can make links yet, but it’s at wiki dot freecadweb dot org slash Manual.

I’m a huge fan of OnShape. It works in your browser or on an iPad, and it’s free if you don’t mind your design being public. There’s a bit of a learning curve but it’s a delight to use. If you will be doing CAM I’m not sure it’s the best way to go, but for 3D printing I love it.

Here’s a simple drag pen I hope to install in the big CNC when hours expand: https://bit.ly/cnc-drag-pen-onshape (it will hold a spring-loaded sharpie so that you can draw on a work without it destroying the pen)

I also use it to make laser-cut items that will be assembled; if you saw the lantern project I did last year it was modeled in OnShape: https://bit.ly/vigilante-lanterns-onshape This one stretches the browser’s capabilities but works:

In the linked doc I slice the components, “lay them out” by repositioning them on a page, and then generate an exportable drawing that I can laser cut:

I also did an “exploded drawing” to show its assembly:

1 Like

I generally use solidworks because I have access to it via my job.

But for home projects I’ll use onshape. Its parametric design capabilities make adjusting designs easy. And its clowd based nature means I always have access to my files.

1 Like

I generally use the free edition of Fusion 360 for most of my “serious” 3D modeling needs.

If I need to make a “quick and dirty but accurate” model that can be made using it’s tools, I use Tinkercad.

1 Like

I like to use OpenSCAD (even though the exportable model rendering is a bit slow) because it’s super similar to programming a model. I also like to use Blender, but that’s for things that aren’t as mechanical, and may be a bit more artistic.

I was a SketchUp Pro user for years but moved over to Fusion 360 because of work. After a few years I love it more and more. They keep updating and improving it on a weekly basis. I have just started learning joints and rigid bodies. I have used the CAM (now called manufacturing) section with our CNCs. The integration with Eagle is so sick. I have to say I drank the kool aid.

1 Like

All, I’m a FreeCAD user for making models for my home 3D printer. @bwatt

I luckily have Solidworks at my job. I do use onshape from time to time.

I mostly do woodworking, so sketchup has fit my needs for a while. That said, I’ve been experimenting with OpenSCAD, Blender (for really accurate renders in the final room to show the spouse), and writing a language to describe the model as a series of woodworking operations (rip, miter, route, etc).

We’ll see if the language ever gets anyway. I just hate laying out cutlists and whatnot every time I tweak the size. If there are any plugins for opencad, I’d be very interested.

I use OpenSCAD or Fusion360 depending on the work involved. FreeCAD is also an option.

I’m a big OpenSCAD proponent and it gets you there for most common at-home use cases. Lately though I’ve had some business use cases and have been using the free version of Fusion360 instead. I recommend OpenSCAD or FreeCAD in probably 95% of home use cases. If instead you’re doing business related stuff, Fusion360, (and Solidworks) has some features that OpenSCAD doesn’t have. But for most makers OpenSCAD or FreeCAD should be more than enough.