Sheet and vertical storage cleaning -- please read!

Hi,

TL;DR: If you had something unlabeled in sheet storage, please check the storage space under the craft lodge to see if it’s there. Unless there’s serious opposition, anything there that’s unclaimed after two weeks is up for grabs.

Last night @jamesfreeman and I cleaned out the sheet and vertical storage, and the storage space under the craft lodge.

We kept anything that was tagged, and tried to keep anything that looked recently used or usable, but anything that looked abandoned and weirdly shaped, like a cnc leftover or whatever, was tossed or cut up on the panel saw into usable pieces.

We moved large pieces from sheet storage to the space under the craft lodge. I’ll post a photo in the reply, but plexiglass, acrylic, and thin cardboard-type pieces are on the left, while big full-sheet plywoods and thicker mdf and chipboard are on the right.

A lot of the stuff in vertical storage was also tossed, or donated to @Fmartin for safekeeping and/or use in his cutting board classes. The only tagged wood back there belonged to @cmadisondesigns, so everything else is either moved under the craft loft, or gone.

@JoeN, you had some acrylic sheets behind the panel saw that were moved into sheet storage.

In the future, I think next time I, or anyone, goes on a cleaning spree like this, it would be much better to send a message to everyone giving a one-week heads up. In retrospect I would have felt a lot less nervous about getting rid of things had I done that.

1 Like

Thin stuff on the left, thick stuff on the right:

1 Like

All that’s left

1 Like

@gmossessian @jamesfreeman Thank you!! that was a lot to do. I assume the material in the 1st slot on the left of the vertical storage is under the craft area. I had a sheet of plywood that was a cut out left over for a client. Did that get tossed? Just asking

There are several sheets of plywood under that area summer cut some are not. Hard to know which one you’re talking about. I think there’s a piece that we thought was yours it’s about 4‘ x 3‘ with a square cut out of one end of it. It’s still in the vertical storage unit. There are some plastic sheets that we think are yours that are still in there there are a couple of Baltic purchase with multiple cut outs in them that are still there. Under the craft area there are several sheets of MDF some acrylic oh there is works looks like walnut three-quarter inch cut 1/2 inch sheet of plywood and two three-quarter inch sheets that are full. Does any of that sound like what you’re looking for? There are two slabs from trees that we think are yours they are into the craft area and there’s a very large slab leaning up against the shelves that we think is yours also it’s pretty big about 3 feet wide about 6 1/2 feet tall and it has Apoxsee on it it’s aboutAbout 2 inches thick with a big crack in the bottom

@JoeN I found a few 2x4 boards and one of them had your name on it, so I put the three boards back into the vertical storage for you.

1 Like

Wanted to check back in on the status of the material we moved under the loft area. I would assume anything missing or needing to be claimed has been discovered by now. I’d hate to leave all the material there, as the goal wasn’t just to relocate everything.
Should we offer up the material for donation to projects in need, allow people to take materials as they need, or scrap it? Just wanting to see the clean up through.

1 Like

I’ve never done it myself, but I think what we usually do with abandoned property is offer it to members for a limited time (a week or two would be plenty) and share some highlight photos go generate interest. Anything left over at the end of (period) can be freecycled/buy-nothinged/Dumpstered.

Same process is reasonable for disposing of ATXHS property (old tools, parts, etc), though that happens less often.

@EricP do you agree?

1 Like

This would be the process I’d agree with. I’d say anything that could be used for shop improvements should be parceled out for that first, then to the members.

to chime in here…

There is a proposal to organize the small bits and fasteners in the shop (as well as install a slatwall for better organized hackerspace tools.) I’m not sure of the protocol here but I proposed building shallow shelves with small clear plastic containers for all the small bits. To build the shelves, 1/2" plywood (pretty much any flavor of wood) would be suitable for the shelves. 1/4" for the backs. Building something like a kitchen cabinet drawer 2 to 4 inches deep. Nothing fancy.

For inner shelves I’ve used 1/4" or 1/8" ply spacers. The shelving fits snugly into the drawer resting on the space4rs. This offers an inexpensive way to to build cases for spacing in height the flexible shelving for all the small jars of parts.

shelf spacer

Eric P. and I have not discussed the placement of these shelves but there is a lot of “unused” of wallspace real estate. The concept driving this idea is that these would shelf cases be spread about the shop where people can easily find the stuff that’s available and close to the tools members use.

So if there’s interest in building these, setting aside material for 4" strips of 1/2" ply 2’ to 3’ long and scraps of 1/4" ply 16" x 24" for shelf backing, I’d like to express an interest in some of the material if it’s suitable and available.

1 Like

This sounds like the perfect use of material.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking it’d be great to use as much of the leftover stuff as possible for the space itself.

16x24" scraps of 1/4" ply
3’x4" scraps of 1/2" ply

I think we can make a lot of that… iirc there’s a bunch of mdf and chipboard too, no reason that can’t be used if we don’t mind a bit of a hodgepodge look, right?

2 Likes

what size is the mdf? We could potentially use it for the base for the 3d printer cabinet that is going to be built.

1 Like

I’m going to HS this pm to cut material for shelving 1:00 to 3:00

On a follow up note about the unclaimed material… There is a large live edge slab leaning against the project storage shelves. It seems to still be unclaimed. The seems like it could be a desirable item. I was thinking, maybe we could do a donation auction for it, with proceeds going to the shop. I’d be interested in the piece.

1 Like

That’s a great idea @jamesfreeman

It might be mine. I had 2 of them. I moved one and was unable to locate the 2nd one. The white acrylic sheets in the 1st slot with my name painted on the metal is mine. I think I moved everything else.

@JoeN when we did the cleanup, there were two pieces of rough-cut live edge slab, maybe 8’ long and about a foot wide on average, that we moved under the stairs. Last time I was at the shop a week ago they were still there. I believe James is referring to a 3’ wide slab with clear epoxy in the cracks that’s between the shelf storage and the vertical storage.

I was in today and sorted through sheet goods under the craft area and scavenged a few scraps of 1/2" ply and a scrap or two of 1/8" Masonite for backs of shelves for small bits. I can assemble these at home and bring them back - even hang them creating a location for everyone’s Talenti empty (or full?) ice cream jars.

I also tossed MOST of grandpa’s GAS. One of the storage drawers I slid under the nearby stair next to the laser area.

There are 6 drawers of hardware left including a drawer of assorted nails requiring a manually operated hammer. (Remember those?)

@EricP there is an assortment of hex socket head machine bolts with a black oxide finish. I thought those would be worth keeping. Distinguished from misc. screws, bolts and washers (which I tossed) is hardware bits that look like parts from machines or equipment. These are not off the self items so set them aside along with some electrical hardware that might be useful. Not much of that.

There were quite a few 1/2" diameter 6" and 8" hex head bolts and nuts for the same plus some 5/16" and 3/8" carriage bolts. I’m taking them to the Re-Store for a donation.

I also found a party of short aluminum sex bolts. I chose not to disturb them. Respect. Ya know?

@GregoryRaines there are some good sized sheets of 3/4" ply and MDF and a part sheet of 1/2" MDF for the 3D printer spools. You should do something with them soon though.

I looked today. That is definitely not mine. Someone put their name in it.