Rebranding from hackerspace name?

Engineers in the media are a positive. Hackers are not. I don’t have any market research nor did I ever mean to imply I did. I wasn’t suggesting we use engineer, only that it isn’t negative like hacker.

urban dictionary says hackers are just computer guys who do various hacking. They’re all roughly the same (top 5 at least). So we’ll assume most people share this definition.

Even if we agree that young people might think hackers are cool, that doesn’t equate to them finding them inviting. Not sure why you think people who show up to use the woodshop/tools/cnc machinery are interested in meeting “hackers”. (which don’t particularly exist at atxhs)

At best case it doesn’t fit the mission on any level as to what atxhs has become. There are infinite cute and inviting names. The ones I see… thinkery… 10bit… are all great.

It may be that under 30 has accepted computers enough hackers are now seen as “cool”. Coders became cool when programming all at once seemed like a promising field. So… perhaps. Regardless, if you were to go do a google news search for hacker, you’re pretty much only going to see hackers in a negative light.

These perceptions are what drive people’s initial thoughts and whether to check out what the “hacker” space is. If you want a more varied culture then I’d get rid of the word hacker.

1 Like

Brian: You have some compelling anecdotes. Based on those, I would support spending money to study the issue. I would not support a name change without the market research that turns those anecdotes into data. I think you’re drawing conclusions from a too-small sample size and overvaluing the negative interactions that you have encountered. But I’m open to being proved wrong.

1 Like

I have also had many negative interactions due to a hackerspace name.

Like mentioned earlier. Atxhs has received people requesting malicious actions from our hackers. Same thing with 10bit. The common man sees “hackerspace” thinks “space-full if computer hackers” and thinks we offer malicious hacking services.

I had issues making deals with schools between the 10bit and a school because they are concerned about “hacker” being in the name.

I have shared info about spaces with my co-workers and anybody with an IT background have immediate red flags the moment “hackerspace” is used.

Stephen, the only bit of anecdotal evidence I have given was my original story about how it came up about that the branding ‘hacker’. is so bad.

I gave a way to evaluate if pop-cultural had a change of heart on what hacker meant. I didn’t see that on Urban Dictionary. A more generalized idealized definition of hacker that we’d like to be true was not in top 5. I didn’t look further.

I suggested another way to see how hacker is used in more typical usage - google news + hacker. My guess is it’ll take a bit of time to find the word hacker used in a neutral or positive context in a media article. This is a method to evaluate (research?).

I myself have never had a negative interaction over the word hacker that I recall. By the time people are in the door, the space has already won that battle. This is the battle that happens before they even attempt to check out the hackerspace.

Likewise if you are hanging around EEs and tinkerers then their definition will likely be more in line with yours.

Yes. There is more “hacking” going on these days than ever before that makes news. It almost always has to deal with something being stolen.

Look at https://news.google.com/search?q=hacker Skim the headlines. Look at the ratio of positive to negative.

If we come up with a different / unique brand, it needs to be really good.

Whatever the public perception of its root word, “hackerspace” is a commonly accepted term for what ATXHS is. There’s a Wikipedia page:

A hackerspace… is a community-operated, often “not for profit” (501(c)(3) in the United States), workspace where people with common interests, such as computers, machining, technology, science, digital art, or electronic art, can meet, socialize, and collaborate.

There’s an umbrella group that puts it more succinctly:

Hackerspaces are community-operated physical places, where people can meet and work on their projects."

When I Google “makerspace”, it returns the definition of “Hackerspace” – Wikipedia’s “makerspace” is just a redirect to “hackerspace”.

Of some well-respected spaces that have neither “hacker” nor “maker” in the name:

Sector67 “is a Community Workspace / Hackerspace / Makerspace / Collaborative Environment”

Pumping Station One “is a hackerspace”

Heat Sync is “a place where you can make things. We call it a hackerspace.”

Artisan’s Asylum (awesome name, btw) “is a non-profit makerspace devoted to the teaching, learning and practice of fabrication.”

Hive 76 “is a community of makers and crafters organized around a shared workspace.”

I couldn’t find 10bit’s website with Google - it’s drowned out by other uses of the term.

Our cohort organizations may not universally call themselves “hackerspaces,” but it’s definitely not an unusual term. I’d expect anybody looking for a “makerspace” would also understand the meaning of “hackerspace” as commonly accepted in the industry.

I don’t disagree. If one is “in the industry” then hackerspace is just fine. My argument is for situation where people really don’t know what they’re looking for or have not been exposed to such a place. That was my situation when I signed up. If someone is looking specifically for a makerspace or has been a member of one before, they are likely to know what a hackerspace is. For the rest of the world, atxhs has very little to do with what most people consider hackers.

My take away from this thread is it seems a lot of guys like to be considered “hackers” when it really doesn’t really fit with the space’s direction these days.

Again, my whole argument is for that initial interaction in one’s head. First impressions are important and all that. The word hacker just isn’t a positive word to most people even if we both personally like the word. Best case it is misleading to some degree.

What is a good name? Sounds like 10 bit isn’t. I could try to come up with ideas, but there has to be a consensus that it needs to be changed. Make a list of root words then change them around in some cutesy wat. lol. Anyway, it is all a lot of work rebranding, so I am hesitant to push for the idea but only the reasoning. From a branding perspective hackerspace is a pretty awful name. This doesn’t mean I don’t personally want to be part of a 'hackerspace" just the branding sucks for what atxhs is trying to accomplish.

In my case, the “ATX hackerspace” branding was bang-on. I moved to Austin and was looking for a makerspace in the area. ATXHS was the first hit.

In what way do you feel “hackerspace” isn’t “the space’s direction these days”?

I am very curious what proportions of our membership were specifically looking for a makerspace or stumbled across the idea trying to solve some other problem. We could definitely stand to put more thought into marketing, and I’d say it starts with a better understanding of our audience.

1 Like

As stated previously, the term hacker is specifically for somebody who takes something and uses it for a purpose other than it was originally designed.

I dont see many people taking hard drives to make CNC machines, or converting a mini fridge into a cryo chiller. Etc.

Our members are more makers. Making stuff from bought materials, not really reuporsing things.

So the hacker term isnt appropriate I feel.

And we dont have a brand, our “brand” is austin texas. And in fact when i see ATXHS the first thing that come to my mind is “Austin Texas High School” even though I’ve been a member for 2 years.

1 Like

I’ll lean on Wikipedia again:

The act of engaging in activities (such as programming or other media) in a spirit of playfulness and exploration is termed “hacking”.

On the other hand, the fact that we’re debating proves your point. It’d be a lot easier to get behind a positive discussion than a negative one – if we don’t want to call ourselves a “hackerspace,” what should we call ourselves? If somebody really thinks we should rebrand, I’d expect that person to put together a proposal and rally voters around it. Asking the board to kick off a branding committee or something right now seems like a longshot.

1 Like

True, unless somebody is going to actually put in a proposal. This is all idle chit-chat.

However I dont think that’s a problem as long as it stays on topic.

And if people have an idea about a new name I would love to hear it. Doesn’t mean we have to adopt it or discuss it. Let’s just put it out there and see if anything has any traction.

Think something with makerspace would be more appropriate.

Maybe “Bat Cave Makerspace” since we already have the bat logo we use every where.

I like the idea of going with the bat theme, although “bat cave” also has some negative or unflattering connotations. It makes me think of a dark, dank place where nerds might hang out, which while not necessarily bad wouldn’t signal much difference than “hackerspace”. Another thing that came to mind is a description for someone’s nose that needs cleaning. However there is also “Batcave”, Batman’s high-tech lair. So perhaps leaning into that direction would be OK.

As far as makerspace vs hackerspace, that’s also something that seems a bit of a horizontal change to me. A brand doesn’t necessarily have to say exactly what something is, it can just sound interesting enough to make the “right” kind of people want to find out more, and that’s something we can make easier, too.

1 Like

I’m not asking anyone to do anything and as I’ve stated, it is a lot of work and such. This doesn’t suggest to me I shouldn’t broach the subject.

I’m suggesting something from a business perspective and making members aware of it. It really isn’t a personal issue with me, although I do believe the name is misleading but not in any way that is malicious or such.

Rebranding could be leveraged to bring in a new batch of people and get back in black.

It doesn’t matter if I think it should be rebranded or not - that is not my call. I’m not even a member of hackerspace anymore. I’m just pointing out how the average person perceives the name when they come across it.

It is something the members/board should keep in mind and not be married to the atxhs name.

TBH the whole idea of “firing off a committee” sends shivers down my spine.

1 Like

We’ll form a committee to investigate forming a committee :slight_smile:

I hear what you’re saying; my point is just that being in favor of a new brand X is different from being opposed to what we have now. I don’t dislike ATXHS enough to bother working to change it, but if somebody came up with something awesome I could get on board.

(fwiw, there’s already a “BatLab” in Austin too)

Too bad there is already branding around a bat. 6th street… bats… what else is there? I thought about this a bit and best I could come up with Older Kids on the Block and thats just silly.

It would be interesting to see actual market research. Find a sampling of active people and see if they’d have any interest in attending a makerspace but describe it beyond a name. Then ask how interested they’d be in checking out A,B, and C on a 1-5 scale. Where one of the 3 is “Hackerspace”. I think you’d need to word the question something like “Would you like to be a member of an organization named Hackerspace?” 1-5. Anyway… just my random thoughts. It could be that it actually draws people in or the negativity doesn’t keep people away. I’m just fairly positive the word hacker has quite a few more negative connotations than positive.

The Fun Time Tool House ?

I am an engineer. It is a benchmark for an achievement related to the degree.

I strongly suggest not using it. It pushes people away if they do not have that checkbox.

I have not given much thought to renaming. I like the name “Hacker” but I also like the word “ignorant” because I do not associate anything negative with the usage.
“Ignorance is a lack of knowledge and information. The word “ignorant” is an adjective that describes a person in the state of being unaware”

Too many people (greater than 5%) have a negative or uninviting perception of the word. I have been toying around with the idea of a play on words that is that antithesis of the “Tragedy of the commons”. Something along the lines of “Community of the Commons”. Not that it rolls of the tongue, but it points in the direction of what I want this space to be. (Distilled down to a good name)

I like “Fun Time Tool House”. I also like “Older Kids on the Block” but the first one is possibly usable as a name, or something in that vein could be. Thats the best I could do sitting around without delving into coming up with a name through some process.

The name is meaningless without marketing it. To the general public, “hacker” infers computer hacking. To people who are hackers, makers, etc., it is not so strongly associated. I’m new to the space, but I easily found it quite some time ago with a search for a maker space. So a search does find the location. What do you want out of the name? Glancing through the thread, and the initial posting, membership is what is wanted. A catchy name won’t do that. Getting the name out does. The FB page, events, etc., can help with that. Getting into the news, especially neighborhood publications. That’s free press, and gets right to the people we’re interested in. Posting class schedules on FB, then members sharing the schedules on FB pages. Simply reposting / forwarding from the members would help. Posting upcoming class schedules, especially one day classes for non-members. Those may not focus so much on mastering the tools or equipment, but they get to leave with something in their hands.

1 Like

Meowolf nailed it

2 Likes

Meow Wolf unfortunately is on life support… and may likely fall to COVID-19’s restrictions before it can open again. Sad…

The interactive environment is a beast to keep clean and safe, and Meow Wolf’s current business plan counted on a huge expansion effort and crowds. It’s also a tourist attraction, more than a makerspace… more “Las Vegas” than “maker”.