Interest in upgrading dust collectors?

Does anyone have 6" dust collection hose? Short lengths will work. If you do have some and would like to donate. Let me know? Thanks in advance

The 6 inch hose is ordered and on the way

The vortex dust separator is installed. The hose between the vortex and the vacuum needs some support. Something similar to a cow tongue Support. The ivac gate systems needs some maintenance. The gates aren’t opening properly. The miter saw blast gate power supply is dead. The table saw blast wouldn’t open when the dc triggered.

1 Like

Thanks Joe the main Ivac pro switch is not functioning at all. @dannym do you want to take a look I put it in the facilities cabinet.

Meanwhile I ordered another one. that will be here Thursday.

If we break the new ivac controller sooner than later. We should upgrade the dc motor and ivac controller to a 2hp 220v motor and 220v ivac controller. I assume the internals are a bit beefier. The setup we have now with the larger impeller is causing a high amp draw. We are getting to the edge of what we can do with 120v power

There’s nothing wrong with the setup. The ivac actually has plenty of switching capacity and the motor config is really good right now. I don’t know why it stopped working, no one has looked at it yet.

Biggest thing would be if you could get the shaft adapter machined to do the 3ph motor conversion. That would be amazing.

What is the shaft dimension of the current motor and 3hp?

I haven’t looked at the ivac controller either. I don’t know what is wrong with it. It is broken for some reason. Maybe it just needs a hard reset.

The ivac system is notoriously easy to just bump and misconfigure. Has happened many times.

Also popping in here to offer some help with labor. I believe the plans to upgrade the duct work are still in progress yes?

I know this has been an off-again, on-again conversation and I don’t know where we stand on adding more collection units, but this: https://texas-b.hibid.com/lot/85513243/laguna-tools-mdcpf15110-dust-collector could potentially be very good value.

2 Likes

Very interesting. @EricP @JoeN would this help with dust collection plans? I didn’t look too closely at it, but I do see it looks to be closing in the next 2 hours and it’s too far away (San Marcos).

Dust collection is on the list for our transition fundraiser, so definitely something we’re planning to work on this year if funds allow! NPO Fundraiser - soft launch

I’m going to have to head down there to pick up a 220 extension cord from the same auction, so arranging p/u I could take care of. Totally cool if this isn’t something we’re interested in at the moment, just wanted to put it in front of any relevant parties.

Yeah, for sure. Thanks for bringing it to our attention just in case!

it doesent have the CFM we need to be the main unit but could be a good unit for say a really nice sanding area etc.

This particular unit seems to be weirdly medium-sized. it’s wired for 115V (with an available aftermarket 230V conversion accessory - not sure what that entails) but says a 30A (!) breaker is recommended.

I’ve heard really good things about the P-Flux dust collectors in general, but I’m curious how the built-in remote would interact with the iVac control system we use. I wouldn’t want to have multiple power switches that need to be turned on.

We’re definitely in the market for 2+ HP, 208-230V single- or maybe 3-phase dust collectors.

Not sure if this is the right thread but it does involve does collecting. Is there some reason there isn’t an overhead arm for the sawstop, whether that be from sawstop or DIY? I ask because this morning I was shaving table legs to be the same size and barely m moving the fence before running them through, and man did it produce a lot of sawdust and debris. I feel like that would be a good piece of equipment to incorporate if not just for the management of sawdust then for the quality of the air we breathe while there. I noticed on Sawstops website that the heavier duty floating overhead arm is around $450.

That could be a nice addition, although I’m guessing the cyclone bucket is just full because when working properly it doesn’t kick up the amount of dust you described. There is a meter with lights on the wall that tells you when the bucket needs to be emptied

Yeah, I’ve seen that and from my recollection the light appears to never change. Like its always 2 green 2 yellow i think. Ive never went in and seen 1 green or 2 green even its always the same sequence.

I watched a review of someone on Youtube that bought a sawstop and had the dust arm option too. They showed cutting melamine without the arm and still having a blade guard on it and there was quite a bit of waste that was scattered over the top of the sawstop. Then he showed with the dust arm and it was like night and day. At least for the smaller particles. Here is the video and HERE is a link to a DIY overarm dust collector.

Did you check the window on the vortex barrel?
The lights are helpful, but not terribly accurate.
When the saw is kicking dust like that, I have sometimes found that the intake on the saw is clogged. Pull the blade insert and look to see if the chute is clogged.

So the same thing happened again last night multiple times when doing kerf cuts. Just Dust everywhere. I did take the time to empty the cyclone and the beveled piece that sits in the bottom was upside down. Also i noticed there’s quite a bit of air escaping the system. By quite a bit I mean there’s more than probably should be. The biggest adversary to a closed system besides sharp turns is leakage. I managed to tape off a portion where it was escaping the blower, tightened the filter on top, as well as tightened the latches for the top part to connect to the bottom, and even placed a hose clamp around the main flexhose that goes into the blower. So that also brought me to realize that with the right side of the cabinet for the saw being sealed is probably also a culprit of why this could be happening. Since its suction isn’t focused on the area where the blade is with an opening in the side.

I picked up some flexpaste (flexseal in caulk form) for the 3D Printing cabinet construction and should be enough left over to ultimately seal off any leakage found with the blower system and the filter too but definitely wanted to make sure that was ok before i did that. Which wouldn’t be until sometime next week probably anyways.

Also if the overhead arm is something that is an addition that is seriously being looked at for the shop. I would be willing to make a dedicated donation of 33% of it as long as it went for that purpose. Don’t know if that’s possible or allowed but thought the worst that could happen is being told “No you can’t do that”.

1 Like