Disinfectant sprays/fog

This was mentioned on the Reopen discussion. I want to further address the idea.

Alcohol is readily available in 3 forms- isopropyl, methanol, and ethanol. Ethanol is the only alcohol approved for hand sanitizer. The other two are toxic, and the exposure in spraying, though light, just isn’t a good idea. Denatured alcohol is typically ethanol, methanol, and sometimes other solvents that render it undrinkable. Well actually WHO does allow isopropyl hand sanitizer, but not USA. It can be absorbed a little through the skin and a lot through the lungs, but the main issue is deviants straight-up drinking the stuff.

Anyhow, to sanitize hands against COVID19, the guideline so far is 80% ethanol, or 160 proof alcohol. That’s somewhat expensive, but here’s the thing I want to point out- 80% ethanol (or other sufficiently pure alcohols too) in a spray bottle is very flammable, and misuse around, say, a light switch could end badly.

We’re hardly unique in looking for a way to address the fears of surface contamination. The industry thus far has backed the “disinfectant fogger”:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=disinfectant+fogger&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It’s not flammable, and does “fog” an area. It’s not great for computers or lasers, but could be more thorough on a keyboard than you could ever wipe with a towelette. My perception is that it’s in an uncomfortable niche where a) it’s unproven, and b) it’s probably overkill anyways, as surface transmission I believe to be unlikely unless a person is wildly touching their face after touching public surfaces without handwashing or using sanitizer, like we used to do in the before-times, in the long-long ago, before we adopted the mask.

There is a question of “does the risk outweigh the benefits?” in some of this. Being exposed to an overabundance of overapplied bleach or alcohol mists can really irritate the lungs, nose, and eyes, and arguably may leave a person more vulnerable to infection. No way to know that, no expert has tried to weigh in on how that works, but I do have concerns about overapplying esp if we’re talking about spraying liberally, over and over.

Disinfectant fogger is safer and seems much more thorough than trying to wipe the surfaces (you’ll never wipe every sq cm here)- if it actually works. They’re expensive, and difficult to imagine training every member to use by themselves, and fogging inside the laser would be an easy, yet very regrettable mistake. I don’t even know how to use one yet. I’m not totally on board with foggers yet, but that may change. Thought it was important to bring up the tech, though.

Has anyone made up a batch of “DO NOT LICK” warning stickers yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Jon

I somewhat jokingly, mentioned, not licking of hard surfaces, as a solution to the ongoing discussion during the reopening concept.

Washing hands frequently, is the best plan, gloves are an option of course, if one is extra paranoid. Proper disposal of said gloves, becomes a whole new issue.

We may have to consider, printing some “no lick” stickers. Maybe the Rolling Stones lips, with the red circle “no symbol” over them. LOL

Peace, Wolf

More on the ionized peroxide foggers. Peroxide is great in that it’s highly reactive initially, and wets surfaces, but soon becomes just water and oxygen. These are not readily available, though. The foggers on Amazon seem to be intended for an ammonium chloride based solution.

CDC cautions against foggers, as they are not proven, nor is the equipment or procedure standardized. However, peroxide IS on their List N of effective SARS-CoV2 disinfectants