Could you help out with... Sharpening Hand tools and chisels?

Hi, Hackers! Volunteer Opportunity! Yay!
Job: Are you experienced at sharpening hand-tools, including chisels and gouges? Our shop chisels and gouges could use a little love before we start teaching a lathe class. Can you help and/or show others how that sharpening is done? COOL! Hero. Talk to folks listed below for more details!
Time estimate: Couple hours
Job Level 2: would you want to teach a tool-sharpening how-to class for people interested in doing woodwork with hand tools? :smiley:
Person to talk to: @wynd @EricP

2 Likes

My chisels and plane blades are sharpened on stones so I probably can’t help much with grinding wheel technique, but I can lend a hand to someone more experienced. I’ve been wanting to learn so I can justify buying my own bench grinder :grin:

1 Like

I don’t have enough experience sharpening chisels and planes to teach others yet, but I have seen some decent youtube videos.

sharpening jigs (video description contains links to series on sharpening tools):

freehand sharpening:

explanation of the bevel you want:

good starting place at least.

1 Like

Thanks, JD and PJ! I think we are going to have a little clinic/tutorial next weekend at the space, there was a lovely man from Woodcraft who helped me and @wynd with the machine sharpening and is willing to come over the ATXHS – I’ll check in with him and check in over here to let people know what time. @gmossessian is also willing to teach us hand-sharpening, which would be great to know,
@wynd is also working on a plan to help organize the lathe area a bit – which is exciting, so keep an eye out for that and let him know if you want to help plan or execute!

Thanks, @deathraylabs, I will check them out :slight_smile: I’ll post when we’re planning to get together! Hoping this week.

@kye, was it Jerry at Woodcraft? That guy is a legend! He’s been Woodworking for like 60 years…

1 Like

If you can, record the demonstration next week. Not everyone will be able to attend, but many of us will want to see.

2 Likes

Thank you, Charlie, I’ll do my best! I took some photos at the Woodcraft course – it would be great to get our tools up to snuff and it’s going to be a bit of a journey – but anyhow I imagine hearing his explanation could be really helpful as well as the photos. @Ba-lakeh I did get to meet Jerry! Who was so kind and knowledgeable… and legendary. The teacher was Joe G, who is a relatively new teacher but sharpens chisels for people as a side gig in his retirement – they both were so gracious and full of practical wisdom… It was like being welcomed into a shop shared by several master woodworker, extremely tidy grandpas, I felt very lucky and was utterly delighted. WIsh I could have taken my own grandpa there, actually. :grin:

Looks like Jerry will be a teaching a class in a few weeks… wish I could make it, but I’ll be on a climbing trip in Red Rock that week.