Basics and safety information

I would like to propose we consider how to make sure that basics and safety information is readily available for all machines in the shop. For both new members and members that need a refresher.

It could be my youth talking here but my initial thought is to compile a list of recommended safety videos on YouTube to watch.

Watching these videos could be a new prerequisite for attending classes and then the 101 classes become a fully hands on experience?

Thoughts?

1 Like

anytime somebody asks about power tool safety i always try to point them to the power tool institute.

they have safety training class guide, posters, and other information.

(came across them when trying to get research for my old makerspace and had to provide safety training info to the insurance)

1 Like

Anytime somebody mentions safety training I think of Forklift Driver Klaus, but we (unfortunately) don’t have a forklift so we can’t add him to the curriculum.

Forklift safety?

I was thinking that the kind of things I see people complaining about on discourse should make it into the videos. Like not using certain materials because they are toxic, how to clean and maintain the machines, how to use them without throwing dust everywhere.

Also, I read over some of the stuff in the old wiki and realized that my intro to shop class did not cover that “sharps should be put away” when not using them. So trying to standardize the information in the intro classes would ensure that everyone always hears the same information.

The gold standard if we could reach it would be to put Maintance log books at every machine so that a member could pick up the log book check to see when basic Maintance was last performed on it and do the necessary maintenance if required.

@astc is working on some excellent improvements to the Woodshop Safety class that covers these things precisely. Should be seeing those improvements rolling out very soon!

@astc I am happy to assist, let me know where I can help.

1 Like

Thank you @ccjjmartin. All good points and suggestions. We will soon be standardizing the Intro class to be “Woodshop Safety” with a common syllabus for instructors to follow - that addresses the issues you bring up. Anyone who wants to teach a woodworking class (basics or otherwise) can do that - we’ll just make separate classes for that. A clear and consistent safety class is really needed!

I know we have separate threads on masks but I feel like having a good mask is actually a safety issue. Breathing in this amount of sawdust would be bad for anyone’s lungs. I still see people wearing cloth masks or bandannas in the woodshop. Maybe they are helping to protect me from covid but what about their lungs?

(brought it up here because I think it should be added to the intro course)